Monday, October 3, 2011

Space Week 2011 Kickoff

[For those of you new to this, every October since the fall of 2000 I have written a series of space-related articles in honor of the United Nations World Space Week that runs Oct. 4-10. Though they cover a broad range of topics, many of them touch on public policy, economics, or political issues, and are thus appropriate for this forum. Now on with the show.] 

Man, where does the time go?

I've been working on a couple of other projects over the past several weeks, so it only recently hit me that SPACE WEEK STARTS TOMORROW!! Maybe today if you read this after midnight on the 4th, which is likely most of you.

Yes, our annual extravaganza of all things supraterran is about to begin. Once again to keep things manageable I will be posting articles throughout the month of October, but since I already have more than enough timely and interesting issues to write about, not to mention a backlog of requests from previous years, I am forgoing the usual topic solicitation.

The lineup for this year is as follows:
1: "The Dawn of a New Era"
2: "Hmm, That's Funny?" or "Dem Wacky Neutrinos"
3: "50 Years of Human Spaceflight" (official WSW 2011 theme)
4: "Red Rover, Red Rover, Send Curiosity Right Over"
5: "Is the Private Space Industry Ready for Takeoff?"
6: "The Voyagers and the Making of a Space Geek"
7: "Back to Basics: The Cosmic Perspective"

As always, I welcome any questions, comments or suggestions these pieces may inspire.

I hope you all enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment